Unlike what you may have heard Joomla websites are also vulnerable to malicious attackers. This is especially true when the web master has not taken into account various online threats that may compromise your Joomla site. Hence, it is crucial that you store a recent back-up of your Joomla website. However, it is important to point out that Joomla backup is more than just accidents. While mishaps do occur, there are numerous other reasons for backing up the files and databases of your Joomla site.
The following are some of the reasons for backing up your Joomla site:
- Protection from hackers: Hacking is one of the online threats that is causing site administrators sleepless nights. Hackers will always look for ways of bypassing your site security. Therefore, it is prudent to always backup your Joomla site in spite of the security applications you have installed.
- Fast Joomla site setup: Your Joomla backup is a good way of setting up a new site. This way, you will avoid the hustles of setting up your Joomla files with FTP.
- Protection from user errors: Joomla has been built for teamwork. As such, even skilled editors can make mistakes which can compromise the website. What’s more is that, if you design a Joomla site for a client and he or she is not Joomla savvy, they can create a mess of things. By backing up their site on a regular basis, you can help restore their site in the shortest time possible.
There are normally two components to a complete Joomla backup. These are:
- Database details. These are found in MYSQL database.
- Files and folders. These are hosted on a static website.
While backing up your Joomla site, you need to close the website to the general public. Only re-open it after the site backup has been completed.